This chapter talks about choosing the correct type of verbs and the countless verbs that we have in the English language. The English language has 5 variations for every verb excepting for be that has eight variations. These variations are base form, present tense, past tense, past participle, and present participle. But by far verbs are the most systematic of are word classes. The use of expanded verbs is also used like simple present, present progressive and so on. These type of verbs we use ed, ing, en, and have and many others. What I could summarize from this chapter was the use of verbs in their many forms like present, past and future and adding letters at the end of words so the verbs could be pronounced in the correct form. We can only say that without the use of verbs in our language words would not have a meaning since you don’t now if they are being used in present, past or future. Another thing this chapter talks about is the use of passive voice. To change a sentence from active to passive you the object most become the subject and the agent is the object of the preposition by or in some cases for. For example the fans booed the referee- The referee was booed by the fans . You can see clearly how the use of by and how the object becomes the subject.
How Big of an impact would verbs have in you’re writing in they dint exists?
Labels: Choosing Verbs

6 Comments:
I believe I understand the chapter more with this summery verses Kathy's summery on the chapter because the summery is clearer. The lesson is backed right up with the examples. I think I now understand what the "agent" is.
On the question if we never had verbs...I don't think that I would be able to form a sentence or get across what I wanted to say. Of course with all changes in mankind it would take a while but I believe that everyone would adapt tto the change.
8:20 AM
Your summary was really easy to understand as you simplified it more than Kathy's summery on this chapter. Your example made a lot of sense and i understand what the agent is. In comparison to Kathy's summary, you say that verbs are good to have and how the object becomes the subject by the use of verbs, but Kathy's summary makes me feel like verbs are bad and should be used a lot less. I enjoyed your summary more than Kathy's, good work that i understood completely.
1:47 PM
Your summary is very clear and everything makes sense. Nice job !!!
I agree with your point that without verbs the language would not make sense.
4:58 PM
This is the same article that I have shown. I like the summary you have given, it is very clear about verbs. Examples are shown which really helps me and im sure it helps others understan the topic better.
5:47 PM
I never knew that much about verbs but by reading your summary i learned a lot. Good job.
8:14 AM
Not having verbs exist would not be good. I think writing would be very challenging, our blogs probably wouldnt make sense without verbs.
2:26 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home